I am currently learning German, at the end of course party everyone was asked to bring a dish that was from their country. I chose Flapjacks, while they are pretty common in the UK, I had not seen them in Zurich and I thought it would be nice to show my fellow classmates that we have some great dishes. Flapjacks are easy to make, healthier than the usual sweet treats and a great comfort food. The beauty of this recipe is that you can add anything to it. I was feeling the festive spirit so I added some orange zest and cinnamon.
70g Brown sugar
2 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Dessicated coconut
175g Rolled oats
75g Chopped nuts
140g Dried fruit
½ tsp of Cinnamon
1 tsp Orange zest
- Put the butter, brown sugar and honey into a small pan, then heat gently until the mixture has melted and combined into a golden liquid.
- Add the desiccated coconut to the honey mixture.
- Add the oats, nuts and dried fruit to the mixture.
- Add the cinnamon and orange zest to the mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a 20cm x 20cm greased and lined baking tray and cook at 160C/140C fan/gas 4 for 35-40 mins.
- Remove and cool in the baking tin, then slice into pieces.
- Enjoy 🙂