Roasted Pumpkin with Quinoa
Pumpkins are so versatile, there are so many things you can do with them. You can put them into a curry and make a savoury dish. While travelling around Thailand we often had pumpkin in a dessert. Here is my favourite way to serve pumpkin, oven roasted so that the sugars caramalise and served with a simple salad and quinoa. Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. It is an excellent alternative to rice or couscous.
500g pumpkin (use any variety you like)
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
A pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- Preheat over to 180C
- Slice the pumpkin.
- Drizzle the olive oil.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and chilli flakes all over the pumpkin.
- Roast until tender and slightly charred at the edges. This can take between 40-60 minutes.
1tsp olive oil
half an onion
1 stock cube
- Place quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and run it under cold water.
- Add water to a pan and bring it to the boil.
- Add a stock cube and stir until dissolved.
- Add the quinoa and bring the quinoa to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Cover and cook for 15 minutes
- While the quinoa is cooking, slice the onion. Add olive oil to a pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes or until they are translucent.
- Add the peas and sweetcorn to the pan.
- Remove the quinoa from the heat and drain off any excess liquid. Let stand for 5 more minutes, covered.
- Add the onions, peas and sweetcorn to the mixture.
- Serve it with the pumpkin and enjoy.